Sunday, July 3, 2011

Reactive dog on leash

Tip from dogmama on germanshepherds.com
I went to a "reactive dog class" (we're SOOO politically correct!) because Zack was exactly like that on leash. Here is what I was taught - and it works.

I needed to let Zack know that seeing another dog was a GOOD THING. So, we started, very slowly walking by yards & houses where I knew Zack wouldn't react - he might look, but he wouldn't lunge & bark. As we got close, I'd say, "I see a dog! You get a cookie!" and give him a little treat. Quickly, he learned that the scent of a dog = food. When he made that connection, he only got the treat if he looked at me. His focus needed to be on me.

Slowly, we progressed to walking by (not close - across the street) nicer dogs. Same, drill, "I see a dog, you get a cookie." The trick was, I needed to see the dog first so that his adrenaline wouldn't get pumped up. Even if I missed, we'd play the cookie game if he didn't get adrenalized by seeing the dog.

Now, if we see a dog on leash, he snapped his head to look at me. Dogs are good! Hooray!

Off leash dogs are another story. If its obvious he won't be bothered by the off leash dog, I do the cookie routine. If, however, he reacts no cookie and I ignore the behavior as we walk by. It's funny because when the "danger" has passed, he'll look at me like, "well? I wasn't THAT bad was I?"

Sometimes it's hard to not laugh out loud with these guys!

I don't have to give him cookies all the time anymore. I DO reward good behavior if the strange dog is staring at him or otherwise being a jerk. If I can see that I'm approaching a "jerky dog" - generally any breed that ends with "...oodle" - I'll do the cookie routine. But, it isn't constant feed, feed, feed anymore. It's one cookie for looking at me, one cookie as we pass & maybe a cookie afterwards just for good behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment